Friday, October 11, 2013

Why I will never return to the USA - Niels Gerson Lohman:

In the five hours that followed, I was questioned twice more. During the first round I told, amongst others, my life’s story, about my second novel’s plot, gave my publisher’s name, my bank’s name and my real estate agent’s name. Together we went through all the photos on my laptop and messages my phones had been receiving for the past months. They wrote down the names of everybody I had been in touch with. In my pirated software and movies they showed no interest.

During the second round of questioning, we talked about religion. I told them my mother was raised a Catholic, and that my dad had an atheist mother and a Jewish dad.

‘We don’t understand. Why would a Jew go to Yemen?’

‘But… I’m not Jewish’

‘Yeah, well. We just don’t understand why would a Jew go to Yemen.’